Since the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) adopted the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) in 2015, the cooperation among nations has been extremely significant. This cooperation focuses not only on economy, but also on culture, politics, and religion.
In practice, this collaboration suggests developing awareness about mutual understanding of diverse languages and cultures in the region of Southeast Asia. Hence, the Faculty of Adab and Humanities of the Jakarta UIN in collaboration with Faculty of Language and Linguistics University of Malaya and Asosiasi Dosen Ilmu Adab (ADIA/the Association of Lectures in Humanities) are keen to conduct the International Conference on Culture and Language in Southeast Asia (ICCLAS).
Aim and Scope
This international conference aims to profoundly understand Islam in ASEAN, including its relation to the cultures and languages of this region, in terms of interdisciplinary studies. Here, the scope of this conference is to map the identity of Islam and its connection to the diverse cultures and languages in Southeast Asia.
To acquire that aim and scope, this conference includes the plenary sessions and the parallel ones. The former sessions will deliver the speech of the keynote speaker and the papers of the invited panelists of this conference, while the latter sessions will demonstrate the papers submitted to this conference by its participants. In both sessions, this conference expects that the panelists and the participants will exchange their thoughts and their findings in connection to the above-mentioned scope.
The ICCLAS will be held on 14-15 November 2017 in the Syahida Inn at the Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University (UIN) in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Prof. Dr. Azyumardi Azra, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah, Indonesia
- Prof. James Fox, AB, BLitt, DPhil, Australian National University, Australia
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Su’ad Binti Awwab, University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Prof. Dr. Oman Fathurahman, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah, Indonesia
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Faridah Noor Mohd Noor, University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Chiara Formichi, Cornell University, USA
- Dr. Sharifah Munirah Syed Hussein Alatas, National University of Malaysia, Malaysia
- Amelia Fauzia, Ph.D., National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Dr. Matthew Piscioneri, Monash University, Australia
- Syahrul Hidayat, PhD, University of Exeter, UK
- Dr. Suryadi, Leiden University, Holland(*)
- Prof. Dr. Sukron Kamil, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah
- Prof. Dr. Dien Madjid, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah
- Dr. Muhammad Farkhan, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah
- Dr. Moch. Syarif Hidayatullah, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah
- Usep Abdul Matin, Ph.D., UIN Syarif Hidayatullah
- Lukman Hakim, Ph.D., Universitas Muhammadiyah Jakarta
- Amelia Fauzia, Ph.D., National University of Singapore
- Dr. Ahmad Arifin Bin Sapar, University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Hasnul Insani Djohar, Ph.D. Can, University of Exeter, UK
- Prof. Dr. Dede Rosyada, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah
- Drs. Marzuki Usman, Board of Duke Islamic Studies Center USA
- Palgunadi T. Setyawan, Dipl. Ing., Center for Entrepreneurship Development, al-Azhar Indonesia University
- Prof. Dr. Arsykal Salim, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah
- Dr. Zubair Ahmad, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah
- Kostas Retsikas, Ph.D., SOAS, University of London
- Mina Elfira, Ph.D, Universitas Indonesia
- Akhsanul In’am, Ph.D, Universitas Muhammadiyah Malang
- Saifullah Kamalie, Ph.D., STAI Darunnajah
- Tutin Aryanti, Ph.D, Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia
- Prof. Dr. Albertine Minderop, Universersitas Darma Persada Jakarta
- Yuni Sari Amalia, Ph.D, Universitas Airlangga
- Dr. Barsihannor, M. Ag, UIN Alaudin Makasar
- Dr. Mahrus Elmawa, Direktorat PTKI Kementerian Agama RI
- Dr. Ismail Yahya, IAIN Surakarta
Chairperson : Dr. Moch. Syarif Hidayatullah
Secretary : Usep Abdul Matin, Ph.D.
Treasury : Dr. Siti Amsariah
The ICCLAS’ partners encompass all faculties of adab and humanities affiliated to the Ministry of Religious Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia.